Written by Darice Doorn, RD, LD
- You're ready to start taking better care of yourself, only you're not sure what are the best, most effective steps.
- Your current lifestyle is leaving you stressed out and super busy with little time to devote to self care.
- You're finding it impossible to keep up with ever-changing nutrition advice and find yourself throwing in the towel before you even start.
- What you thought would be the perfect diet is proving more and more difficult as time goes on.
- You know the "right answers" but just the thought of actually living them becomes overwhelming.
My advice? Follow my 3 simple steps to help you get back on solid ground. Once you do, you'll have the clarity to move forward, release the extra weight, and reap the full benefits of Abundant Health!
Step #1 Identify Exactly What is Holding You Back
When you're right in the middle of feeling stuck, it can be difficult to see your way out. The absolute first thing you need to do in this situation is to outline your roadblocks so you can see them clearly to prevent them from tripping you up again and again.
For example, let's say you routinely stop off for a treat after work. This is a common occurrence for many working professionals and eventually, it becomes automatic.
In this situation, the decisions you'll need to make include:
- Evaluating what is driving this habit- what purpose is it serving in your life, at that moment?
- Determining a replacement action- what else can fill the gap?
- Getting healthy support- are you investing in mentoring or trying to figure everything out alone?
Step #2 Becoming Aware of What You May Be Afraid Of
Women are much more likely than men to get stuck just when they are ready to take off and up-level their lives. Why? Because taking that leap of reaching for something more stirs up old patterns of self-doubt.
The solution is to recognize this old pattern for what it is: What I call "the voice" that tries to do everything in it's power to keep you right where you are. The ability to recognize it gives you the keys to your freedom because with this awareness, you can say "No thanks!" and make a new choice that supports your goals.
Just remember that stepping forward is going to feel more uncomfortable than keeping the status quo! So don't let common excuses such as "I'm waiting for the right time" keep you stuck. Instead, use phrases such as "I am capable of doing this!" and "Feeling a little uncomfortable means I'm on the right path" or even something stronger such as "I will absolutely NOT give in or give up!"
Step #3 Practice Saying "YES" to Yourself
Women are natural caregivers for those around us. We want to nurture and support our families, our friends, our colleagues... but the result is often that little energy is left for nurturing ourselves. This is one of the greatest challenges when trying to find a "happy medium", a place of calm balance.
When it comes right down to it, saying "YES" to yourself sometimes means saying "no" or "not right now" to all those little things that build up over time. And when you empower yourself to do this, you are allowing others to do the same. Instead of swooping right in, take a step back for a moment and notice what happens. You will find that when you give others the opportunity to grow, holding them as capable, you are giving them an enormous gift. And it is only then when your own cup can be refilled.
When you start practicing this regularly, you'll be re-energized and the positive ripple effect will make it effortless to keep moving forward.
Getting unstuck feels awesome and yes, you can do this!